Q.  How does the State receive unclaimed property?

Delaware's Unclaimed Property Law requires corporations, businesses, associations, financial institutions, courts, and insurance companies (referred to as "Holders") to annually report and deliver property to the Department of Finance after there has been no activity on the account or contact with the owner for a period of time specified in the law-generally three (3) to five (5) years. Often, contact is lost when the owner forgets that the account exists, or moves and does not leave a forwarding address, or the forwarding order expires. In some cases, the owner dies and the heirs have no knowledge of the property.

Helpful hint in preventing escheatment:  Annually verify your contact information with holding companies; periodically discuss automated features such as dividend reinvestment, direct deposit or up and coming smart phone notifications.

Q.  What type of unclaimed property does the State receive?

The State receives various forms of financial property including, but not limited to: un-cashed/undelivered/unclaimed dividends, wages, refunds, deposits, interests, payments for goods and services, stock, debentures, bonds, etc. Unclaimed property received by the State does not include real estate or tangible property.

Q.  How do I claim my property?

Complete a Request Form, include two separate forms of identification (US citizens must include a legible color copy of social security card from the claimant for tax purposes) and submit to: https://delaware.findyourunclaimedproperty.com/app/claim-doc-type

Delaware Office of Unclaimed Property
PO Box 8140
Wilmington, DE 19803-8140


Request Form can be found at https://finance.delaware.gov/unprop/form_request.pdf

Q.  I have been informed that Delaware is holding property for me but cannot find my name on the website.

The list available on this website contains property that was included in our most recent publication. This list is static and includes names and addresses loaded into our database during the prior fiscal period.  New properties will be published annually. If your name does not appear on this list, it may still be in our database.

Q.  How long do I have to claim my property?

The State acts only as custodian for the missing owners, holding the property in trust until it is claimed. There is no statute of limitations regarding refund requests. You may submit a Request Form at any time.

Q.  I am the executor of an estate. How do I claim property on behalf of the estate?

In addition to submitting the completed Request Form and a copy of your government issued ID, you must provide documentation demonstrating that you have a legal right to claim property on behalf of the deceased or the estate. EX: Letters Testamentary or small Estate Affidavit for Estates.  Please note that a power of attorney and related documents become void after death.

For Delaware decedents, additional information can be found on the following county websites:
Kent County: http://www.co.kent.de.us/Register-of-wills-office.aspx
New Castle County: http://www.nccde.org/152/Register-of-Wills
Sussex County: https://sussexcountyde.gov/register-wills

Q.  Is there a fee to process my request?

No. There are no service charges assessed for a claim refund.

Q.  Will the State pay interest for the time it held my property?

Delaware Unclaimed Property law does not provide for the payment of interest.

Q.  How long will it take to approve my claim for payment?

The length of time it takes to approve a refund varies by situation and depends heavily on the completeness and accuracy of documentation provided by property claimants. For an update on your claim you may contact escheat.claimquestions@state.de.us.

Q.  Once my claim is approved, can my refund be sent via wire payment or ACH?

The Office of Unclaimed Property cannot send funds via wire payment or ACH. A check will be sent to the address listed on your claim form.

Q.  Where do I go to search for unclaimed property held by other states?

You can start your search for unclaimed property held by other states through the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) website: http://www.unclaimed.org/